Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margie's Journal
09-14-2014, 06:57 PM,
Margie's Journal
OK, so here's my story. I'm 57 and fat. I'm also a born couch potato. I love, love, love to just sit around and do nothing!

There, I said it. The first step to conquering your problems is admitting that you have them.

Next. I started exercising. I mean, really exercising. And I found out that I love it almost as much as sitting around and doing nothing. I've been road biking now for about 6 weeks. This morning I road 12.5 miles ... with hills! Lots of hills. Did 10.5 mph. Am very proud. Six weeks ago I couldn't even do 3 miles with no hills without crying. Last Saturday I rode 20. Again, lots of hills.

So six weeks into it, and my glutes and quads are getting to be rock solid. But you really can't see it because they're buried under about 50 lbs of fat. I really want to do something about that.

I hate being fat for so many reasons. Which is one of the reasons why I'm back on ZC after a very long hiatus. The last time I did ZC (I'm guessing 7-8 years ago following Charles posts on JM's blog.), I actually gained weight. Slowly but surely. Probably because of that couch potato thing. Also because I may have consumed too much protein and not enough fat. So I quit and went back to the old lifestyle of eating healthy carbs. Ha! Can you guess how well that worked out?

But anyway, now that I've finally gotten up off my keister, and have been moving around like the rest of the world, I think I'm going to give it another try. I may not be able to do completely ZC, but I'm pretty sure I can come close to nothing but very fatty satiating meat and water most of the time. It's pretty much mental for me. Like all things in life. If you say you're going to do it, then just do it and don't whine and make excuses. So, I'm just going to do it. No whining. And no excuses.

My exercise goal is to be able to be fit enough to ride RAGBRAI next year. So that means a lot of road biking, and I'll also be doing spin classes when I can't ride this winter. RAGBRAI is a 7 day, 500+ mile bike ride across Iowa. I'm gearing up for it baby! And yes, I'm going to do it!!! Only 307 more days! I'm very psyched about that. Especially now that I see my 6 week progress.

I've been reading a lot on the internet about training, and using carbs versus fat to sustain on long endurance rides. I think because I'm so sweet that I probably have enough carbs in my system at this point, and it's about time to think about dumping them and fueling with fat.

Seriously, I have relatives that have died from Type 2 diabetes, and I'd like to stop that from happening. I'm thinking that even if I don't lose weight, keeping sugar out of the picture, and keeping lots of muscle building exercises in, can only help.

All right. Enough said for now. That's my story. Also, this is my first post. Hope the admins don't delete it! (Copy/pasting into notepad just in case).
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
09-15-2014, 08:58 AM,
RE: Margie's Journal
Day 1. First ZC meal was so satisfying that my interest in eating it waned at about 3/4 through. Now this is what eating/food/nutrition should be. Fat rules. I'd give my first meal experience an A+.

It's going to be an interesting and entertaining week. On to sugar withdrawal, and mind over matter. I'm 57 today. Not gonna have any "thing" controlling me. Bring it on Mother Nature.
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
09-15-2014, 05:58 PM,
Your post is not deleted! And for what it's worth, when you stick with ZC, you can sit on your couch as long and as often as you like ... burning fat as you sit. Definitely read all that you can on this forum, and keep us posted with your ZC journey. Welcome!
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lesley's post:
Margie (09-16-2014)
09-15-2014, 06:53 PM,
Welcome back! Since you are new, your first few posts have to be approved.

Don't worry about the "carb loading" thing. Us long timers know it is not necessary for anything except getting fatter. Smile
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by: Bluefizzure
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dana's post:
Margie (09-16-2014)
09-15-2014, 07:29 PM,
Welcome Margie, you are off to a great start!
Vegetarians eat veggies, Carnivores eat meat. Got it?
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
[-] The following 1 user Likes DebbieC's post:
Margie (09-16-2014)
09-16-2014, 08:22 AM,
(09-15-2014, 05:58 PM)Lesley Wrote:  Your post is not deleted! And for what it's worth, when you stick with ZC, you can sit on your couch as long and as often as you like ... burning fat as you sit. Definitely read all that you can on this forum, and keep us posted with your ZC journey. Welcome!

That is awesome. Burning fat while I sit is a habit I'd love to embrace! LOL
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
09-16-2014, 08:28 AM,
(09-15-2014, 06:53 PM)Dana Wrote:  Welcome back! Since you are new, your first few posts have to be approved.

Don't worry about the "carb loading" thing. Us long timers know it is not necessary for anything except getting fatter. Smile

I'm thinking that in 100 years or so the people of this world are going to be looking back at our generation wondering what on earth we were thinking with that insane government food pyramid that condones and even encourages the ingestion of poisonous and addictive gunk.
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
09-16-2014, 08:46 PM,
I love riding my bike. I find eating zero-carb gives me a pretty steady energy level. I can ride for at least 15-20 miles without feeling tired. I haven't tried to go further than that, but only because I have a pretty standard "loop" that I used to bike when I was eating carbs and I haven't lengthened it yet.

I like the idea of RAGBRAI except for a few problems. First, I can't really afford it (the food, fees, and associated costs of getting my bike and body there and back). Second, even if I was lucky enough to enter and be picked, I would worry about not having anyone who would be willing to do it with me. Going it alone would be hard. Finally, I am a Florida boy. Here the land is flat and smooth. I would need to practice riding up and down bridges or something to help prepare. It would be awesome to do something like that where I live. I guess there's nothing that stops me from making a goal of biking the daily "distance" for each day of it, at home. It's not quite the same, but it would be a neat challenge.
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
09-16-2014, 10:16 PM,
Kevin, I'm in Hawkeye country and we love RAGBRAI! Sometimes it comes through town. We always know people riding in it (my teenage son has ridden a day or two before). Make it happen!
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by:
09-17-2014, 01:37 PM,
That's a very good point about only riding RAGBBRAI for a day or two. That's actually "Plan B" for me and my husband. Our goal is to ride the entire week long ride, but if we're not at that point physically next year, we're planning on riding at least one day. And one day can be anywhere from 60 to 100 miles. Even that would be a pretty significant accomplishment for two former couch potatoes from Iowa.
Like Post Reply
Thanks given by: